I am interested in digging deeper into the cultural aspects of parenting (specifically western vs eastern and elsewhere), and the physiological and psychological effects this has on babies. If we look at the evidence of scientific analysis, anthropology, and new science of ethnopediatrics we find that babies are meant to be carried, are meant to sleep with their parents etc. My instincts have always felt this was right, so I guess I don't really need to label my way of parenting by any other name than biological, instinctual and amplified by loss.
The book Our Babies Ourselves is a must read.
I, I take photos from my heart, I always have and always will. Holdyn is nearly 25 weeks. It's been a while since I posted photos, here are some from 23 weeks - 24 weeks.














9 comments:
That picture of your sweetie and your doggie are too much!!!! SUCH a cutie!
He is so beautiful. I can't get over those cheeks!
He's beautiful Erin.
Love the pictures--and I know I've told you I see Matt in him several times, but I see so much of you in this batch.
"My instincts have always felt this was right, so I guess I don't really need to label my way of parenting by any other name than biological, instinctual and amplified by loss."
You are clearly a wonderful mother; there's no question about that. I do want to gently point out, though, that there are plenty of loving mothers who simply don't have any instinctual desire to breastfeed, cosleep, wear baby, etc. - and they are acting just as much from instinct as you are. Your instincts are just different, because not all women are the same. And that's fine.
Judy, yes. You are right, that is why I began that paragraph with "My instincts"....I know that a more attached approach is not for everyone, and that is fine. I guess I am also coming from a perspective of having grown up not feeling so close to my parents, always disconnected and not ever feeling like I was good enough. This also informs my parenting and need to be firmly attached to my son.
Beautiful, gorgeous and heartwarming pictures.... and I see Macy in there!!;) I can see what a lucky little man Holdyn is. I think the closeness between parent and child is of the utmost importance... we may have some differences in exactly how we relay it but that's OK as long as the child knows it.;)
He is a delicious baby. Love the chubby cheeks.
He is such a gorgie-porgie baby! (Beautiful!) I see a lot of his daddy in him, especially through the eyes.
I am not a mama yet, and I have a lot of ideas how I think I would like to parent when I am, but I would never dream of telling someone else how to do it. And quite frankly, like you have said, especially after someone's baby had died, I would expect it to drastically change their outlook on parenting - I can't imagine I would ever put my baby down either, then. Eventually Holdyn will want to walk and run and play and all those things that kids do - why not soak it up while he's still a baby? :)
Post a Comment