Have I come full circle about birth? I don't know, but lately I have been feeling that I am ready, that I really, truly want to trust the birth process once again.
I think that birth can be trusted about as much as anything else can. We take everything for granted until we are forced to recognize how frail it all is. I took breathing for granted until my daughter turned blue. It changed how I looked at breathing, how I will always look at breathing. I had two great natural births, so I take it for granted that birth is safe and wonderful. If I'd lost one of them, building back trust in that process would be difficult at best. If, if, if. You lost a child. (I hate that. "Lost". Like you were wandering in Whole Foods and left her behind??) Let's try that again. Your child died. She died in the birthing process. Trusting the process may never fully happen. But accepting that birth, like everything else has inherent and horrible risks and we're all going to do it anyway - that you can do. Also. Nice hat. Beautiful boy. <3
i like how navelgazing midwife puts it. it's not trusting birth, it's having a healthy respect for birth. knowing just like the sea can change, so can the birth process.
Trust birth, but not too much... you know what I'm getting at. Trust it like a babylost mama trusts it, like it is what is supposed to happen, but we hold onto the reigns all the same just a little tighter. xox
This is a toughie, because in a perfect world we would and could trust birth 100%. Knowing in this world not everything is perfect 100% of the time in my eyes makes it impossible. I don't say that rudely or to make you said. But having worked OB for 5 years I see it that way. I think being wise about birth is what is important. I know a midwife personally who carries on everything as in a home birth but carries it on inside a hospital, to me that would be ideal in the world we live in. We cannot blame ourselves for what happens in child birth, the healthiest birthmom can have problems. You wouldn't think birth would have complications at all, such a miracle.... but as any other part of our body things can go wrong. Hope you are doing well Erin!!!
Why do you need to trust birth? I wish they would change that phrase to respect birth. Birth is powerful natural force. Those powerful natural forces sometimes kill us.
5 comments:
I think that birth can be trusted about as much as anything else can. We take everything for granted until we are forced to recognize how frail it all is.
I took breathing for granted until my daughter turned blue. It changed how I looked at breathing, how I will always look at breathing.
I had two great natural births, so I take it for granted that birth is safe and wonderful. If I'd lost one of them, building back trust in that process would be difficult at best. If, if, if.
You lost a child. (I hate that. "Lost". Like you were wandering in Whole Foods and left her behind??) Let's try that again. Your child died. She died in the birthing process. Trusting the process may never fully happen. But accepting that birth, like everything else has inherent and horrible risks and we're all going to do it anyway - that you can do.
Also.
Nice hat.
Beautiful boy.
<3
i like how navelgazing midwife puts it.
it's not trusting birth, it's having a healthy respect for birth. knowing just like the sea can change, so can the birth process.
Trust birth, but not too much... you know what I'm getting at. Trust it like a babylost mama trusts it, like it is what is supposed to happen, but we hold onto the reigns all the same just a little tighter.
xox
This is a toughie, because in a perfect world we would and could trust birth 100%. Knowing in this world not everything is perfect 100% of the time in my eyes makes it impossible. I don't say that rudely or to make you said. But having worked OB for 5 years I see it that way. I think being wise about birth is what is important. I know a midwife personally who carries on everything as in a home birth but carries it on inside a hospital, to me that would be ideal in the world we live in. We cannot blame ourselves for what happens in child birth, the healthiest birthmom can have problems. You wouldn't think birth would have complications at all, such a miracle.... but as any other part of our body things can go wrong. Hope you are doing well Erin!!!
Why do you need to trust birth? I wish they would change that phrase to respect birth. Birth is powerful natural force. Those powerful natural forces sometimes kill us.
Post a Comment