Wednesday, April 18, 2012



Orri, this new babe from the land of miracles is now 10 weeks! WTF! How did we get here. Every week, at least a few people ask how old the babe is and it stuns me all over again. The weeks since his birth are going by so swiftly, it's like the pages of a book, the story of Orri are just turning, and turning before I get to read all the words on the page of "Week 9", and "Week 10".

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW DOWN!

Time stood still when Holdyn was born. I encased myself in a protective mama shell, and at first glance of my miracle was so high of him that for nearly a year I never came down from that high.

Of course life for us this time around is different, life with two living littles just moves along...not that it is rushed, or fast paced...it just moves in a way that allows less space for mama to take it all in sometimes, I mean really take it all in. I crave that space, I want to study every inch of this new babe's face, as I did with his big brother.

The first few weeks after Orri's birth were difficult for me. I was happy, but I also became incredibly sad on many occasions. It didn't help that Matt was not super sensitive nor understanding of my emotions. I couldn't control my feeling so blue. At times I was beside myself, and it was terribly hard to appreciate the gift I had been given, another living, breathing, beautiful baby. I felt so low, so terribly sad, lost, blah.

Fortunately, I has built around me a fortress (community) of incredible, supportive, loving mamas (and their families), and they came to my rescue. These amazing women, fed us and checked in with us those first weeks following the birth. What a blessing. I can't ever thank these beautiful loving women enough.

Now, 10 weeks out. Here we are. It's way too late for me to be awake, but Orri sleeps contentedly upon my chest, where he spends most of his days and nights. I wouldn't have it any other way. It feels like my truth to have him there, listening to my heart, so close to my breast, breathing in my smell. He like his brother is so happy to be in this space of my body...a fourth trimester.

3 comments:

Rixa said...

I know, it's so hard how the time just keeps slipping past...That magical timelessness I had with my first didn't really happen in the same way either with the next ones. Like you said, it's still lovely but life happens at a difference pace when you have a toddler underfoot!

Savanah said...

What a wonderful expression! I felt the same way when our little lady was born. I remember almost every little detail of our sons infancy (it seems), but I blinked and it was as though months had past with my daughter. So happy to hear your family is doing well. You have such lovely little boys!

Savanah said...

What a wonderful expression! I felt the same way when our little lady was born. I remember almost every little detail of our sons infancy (it seems), but I blinked and it was as though months had past with my daughter. So happy to hear your family is doing well. You have such lovely little boys!