Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm Being Quiet.

I am here, living on each day...

A week or so ago I was asked to show a new body of work in an Alumni Art Show at one of the schools that I studied photography as an undergrad years ago. I quickly and happily accepted. I have had ideas for making some new work, but I just needed a nudge.

So, in between work, knitting, quality time with Matty and the animals I have begun to develop a new body of work.

I am exploring and experimenting with how to take a few of the images that I have of Birdie's face and transpose myself, Matt and then the 3 of us together. Right now I think that the work will be 3 separate images, and since I started thinking about this project I have many other ideas. So, this is going to be a work in progress, this is just the beginning.

Last night I worked on an image of Birdie, many, many layers of Birdie. Let me know what you think.

image © Erin Newman Long 2007. all rights reserved

9 comments:

Mary said...

It took me a few seconds to see the picture but when I did it was absolutely beautiful.... just lovely.

Kim said...

That is really beautiful! I can barely see her sweet face, but somehow, it seems perfect that way. Almost like she's behind a mist or a cloud, just beyond the reach of the viewer. BEAUTIFUL.

niobe said...

This is just wonderful. It's fragile, ethereal, like an unattainable goal or a half-remembered dream. It really is extraordinary. Let me (and the rest of us) know when and where your show will be. I can't wait to see more of your work.

Liz said...

Wow, I don't know how to put into words my reaction. Niobe's comment above seems just right: ethereal, unattainable...
I'm no art critic, so I don't have the words...
Beautiful.

And enjoy your quiet and solitude. Listen to yourself.

Topcat said...

Just Divine. It looks like you are gently holding her in the palm of your hand. So, so heartachingly beautiful.

Leigh Steele said...

That's your girl, floating in the clouds of love, connected always to you.
Gorgeous, Erin. What a tribute.
xoxo

Alabaster Mom said...

I love the photo, Erin. I'm so glad you have those photos and can express your grief and hope through your art.

On an unrelated matter, would you email me a photo of Macy? I saw that she has a blog so I was thinking maybe we could feature her on the front of the GABR site, under the Featured Adoptee section.

Anonymous said...

That is truly amazing.

Tricia said...

Stunning.